We here at the Postmedia Digital Innovation Team are just putting the final touches on Project Timbit, so I thought I would take a minute to explain a bit more as to why we chose to build this using Node.js and CoffeeScript, or for that matter, why we chose to build a new framework at all. Although I try to avoid getting too technical in my posts, this one in particular is intended for those friends and colleagues with a more technical background. All others should probably pass this one by and save yourself a nap or a headache, whichever may come first.
I must confess that when I signed on to head up the team, I had no intention on building yet another framework. I have architected and built a number of frameworks and applications in my time and the intent of this group was to prototype and design on behalf of our customers, the newspapers. To do that, we were going to use Ruby on Rails, a language and framework I had fallen in love with over the course of the past couple years. I found Rails and the principles (and people) behind it refreshing, especially after spending years entrenched within the .NET camp. Continue reading
Over the past few months, the Postmedia Digital Innovation Team has been quite busy building a new framework for widget development. Today I wanted to take some time to tell you about this project.
Project Timbit started back in July when we first started putting the team together. Although some insiders knew of this new group, there hadn’t been any formal announcement yet and wouldn’t be for a number of weeks. The intent was to have everything fully functional by September at which point we would start engaging the various newspapers across the chain and help them prototype new ideas. So, I decided to take the summer to build, learn and prepare.
I threw some ideas together and quickly met with my boss, Peter de Groot (no relation ) and my colleague Tom McGreevy, Director of Professional Services, to present them with following objectives for Project Timbit.
- provide a simple and fast framework for other teams (in particular the Professional Services team) to rapidly build, test, deploy, and manage external widgets
- to prototype a new story page / widget that is light weight, fast, flexible, innovative, and tablet/mobile friendly
- to announce our presence to the community by contributing this prototype as open source under the MIT license
So here we are a couple of months later and we’re ready to announce to the world what we’ve come up with. We are days away from completing this leg of the race, and I thought I’d tell you a little bit of what we’ve done. Continue reading